[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Libvirt-announce] Release of libvirt-3.0.0
- From: Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com>
- To: libvir-list redhat com
- Cc: libvirt-announce redhat com
- Subject: [Libvirt-announce] Release of libvirt-3.0.0
- Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 19:40:35 +0100
So I got mixed reports in the last day about the state of the head
but one of the big issues seems solved, and I'm not sure keeping the
freeze much longer will help, so libvirt-3.0.0 is out. It's tagged in
git, signed tarball and rpms are available at thet usual place:
I also pushed python bindings release too which one can find at
It includes a fair amount of changes despite the slowdown around the end of
* New features
- Domain events for metadata content changes
The domain events framework has a new event ID that can be used to get
notifications when domain metadata content changes.
- Event notifications for the secret object
The secret object now supports event notifications, covering lifcycle
changes and secret value changes.
- New localPtr attribute for "ip" element in network XML
- qemu: Support QEMU group I/O throttling
Add the capability to allow group I/O throttling via a new domain
<disk> <iotune> subelement "group_name" to allow sharing I/O throttling
quota between multiple drives.
- nss: Introduce libvirt_guest
New libvirt_guest nss module that translates libvirt guest names into
- daemon: Add support for runtime logging settings adjustment
Logging-related settings like log outputs and filters can now be
adjusted during runtime using the admin interface without the necessity
of the daemon's restart.
- storage: Add virStorageVolInfoFlags API
Add the API to support using the VIR_STORAGE_VOL_GET_PHYSICAL flag in
order to return the host physical size in bytes of the image container
in the allocation field of the _virStorageVolInfo structure. The
--physical flag has been added to the virsh vol-info command to access
- libxl: Implement virDomainGetMaxVcpus API
- storage: Add overwrite flag checking for logical pool
Add support for the OVERWRITE flags for the logical storage backend
including checking for existing data on the target volumes when
building a new logical pool on target volume(s).
- qemu: Add support for guest CPU configuration on s390(x)
- perf: Add more perf statistics
Add support to get the count of branch instructions executed, branch
misses, bus cycles, stalled frontend cpu cycles, stalled backend cpu
cycles, and ref cpu cycles by applications running on the platform.
- conf: Display <physical> for volume xml
Add a display of the <physical> size of a disk volume in the output of
the volume XML.
- qemu: Use virtio-pci by default for aarch64 mach-virt guests
virtio-pci provides several advantages over virtio-mmio, such as the
ability to hotplug devices and improved performance. While opting in to
virtio-pci has been possible for a while, newly-defined guests will now
use it automatically.
- vbox: remove support for VirtualBox 3.x and older
Those old VirtualBox versions have been unsupported by upstream for a
long time and the API of 4.0 and newer has diverged enough to require
code abstractions to handle differences. Removing support for those old
versions drops lots of code from the driver and simplifies the logic to
ease implementation of new features going forward.
- virsh: pool-info: introduce option --bytes
Add option --bytes to virsh pool-info in order ti allow display of
units in bytes rather than default of human readable output.
- scsi: Add parent wwnn/wwpn or fabric capability for createVport
Improve the algorithm searching for the parent scsi_host device for
vHBA/NPIV scsi_host creation. Rather than supplying the "parent" by
name, it's now possible to define the parent by it's wwnn/wwpn or
fabric_wwn in the node device create XML or the storage pool XML.
- qemu: aggregate pcie-root-ports onto multiple functions of a slot
When pcie-root-ports are added to pcie-root in order to provide a place
to connect PCI Express endpoint devices, libvirt now aggregates
multiple root ports together onto the same slot (up to 8 per slot) in
order to conserve slots. Using this method, it's possible to connect
more than 200 endpoint devices to a guest that uses PCIe without
requiring setup of any PCIe switches.
* Bug fixes
- lxc: fix accidental killing of containers during libvirtd restart
The libvirt_lxc process was previously not moved into the container
scope. As a result, if systemd reloads its config after a container is
started, when libvirtd is later restarted it will accidentally kill the
- qemu: Correct GetBlockInfo values
For an active domain, correct the physical value provided for a raw
sparse file backed storage and the allocation value provided for a
qcow2 file backed storage that hasn't yet been opened on the domain.
- qemu: Make virtio console usable on ppc64 guests
The chardev detection code has been improved and can now handle this
- qemu: Enable mount namespace
To avoid funny races with udev relabelling devices under our hands and
to enhance security, libvirt now spawns each qemu process with its own
- storage: Fix implementation of no-overwrite for file system backend
Fix file system storage backend implementation of the OVERWRITE flags
to be consistent between code and documentation. Add checks to ensure
that when building a new file system on a target volume that there is
not something already on the disk in a format that libvirt can
- qemu: Create hugepage path on per domain basis
Historically, all hugepage enabled domains shared the same path under
hugetlbfs. This left libvirt unable to correctly set security labels on
it. With this release, however, each domain is put into a separate path
which is also correctly labeled.
- conf: Reject domains with duplicate drive addresses
Reject duplicate drive addresses for disks and hostdevs at domain
- libxl: reverse defaults on HVM net device attach
Fixes network interface attach for HVM domains when no model is
specified. Emulated hotplug isn't yet supported and hence we should
default to the general working scenario.
- libxl: always enable pae for x86_64 HVM
By default pae is disabled in libxl. Without an explicit <pae/> setting
in the domain <features> configuration, an x86_64 HVM domain would be
get an i686 environment. pae should always be enabled for x86_64 HVM
Thanks everybody for your contributions to this release, hopefully that
won't be a brown paper bag one !
Daniel Veillard | Red Hat Developers Tools http://developer.redhat.com/
veillard redhat com | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit http://xmlsoft.org/
http://veillard.com/ | virtualization library http://libvirt.org/
[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next]