Entering freeze for libvirt-9.1.0

Stefano Brivio sbrivio at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 16:02:48 UTC 2023

On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 15:23:04 +0100
Jiri Denemark <jdenemar at redhat.com> wrote:

> I have just tagged v9.1.0-rc1 in the repository and pushed signed
> tarballs and source RPMs to https://libvirt.org/sources/
>
> Please give the release candidate some testing and in case you find a
> serious issue which should have a fix in the upcoming release, feel
> free to reply to this thread to make sure the issue is more visible.

The "passt" network back-end is entirely non-functional on distributions
shipping with SELinux: the binary helper can't be executed. The
'virsh start' command reports:

  error: internal error: Could not start 'passt': libvirt:  error : cannot execute binary /usr/bin/passt: Permission denied

and the guest doesn't start. This is on Fedora 37, but it should be
universally reproducible.

I provided more details on the thread at:
  https://listman.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2023-February/238096.html

This is the relevant snippet from my domain XML file:

    <interface type='user'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:36:21:6f'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <backend type='passt'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

--
Stefano