Release of libvirt-9.0.0
jdenemar at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 11:48:12 UTC 2023
The 9.0.0 release of both libvirt and libvirt-python is tagged and
signed tarballs and source RPMs are available at
Thanks everybody who helped with this release by sending patches,
reviewing, testing, or providing feedback. Your work is greatly
* New features
* QEMU: implement external snapshot deletion
External snapshot deletion is now possible using the existing API
``virDomainSnapshotDelete()``. Flags that allow deleting children
or children only are not supported.
* QEMU: support passt (https://passt.top)
passt can be used to connect an emulated network device to the
host's network without requiring libvirt to have any sort of
elevated privileges. This is configured with::
* QEMU: add external backend for swtpm
Connecting the VM to a swtpm daemon started outside of libvirt
is now possible.
* QEMU: Support for passing FDs instead of opening files for `<disk>`
A new API `virDomainFDAssociate` gives the users the option to pass FDs
to libvirt and then use them when starting a VM. Currently the FDs can
be used instead of directly opening files as `<disk>` backend.
* qemu: Prefer PNG for domain screenshots
With sufficiently new QEMU (v7.1.0) screenshots change format from PPM to PNG.
* tools: Fix install_mode for some scripts
Scripts from the following list were installed with group write bit set:
virt-xml-validate, virt-pki-validate, virt-sanlock-cleanup,
libvirt-guests.sh. This was changed so that only the owner is able to write
* qemu: Allow multiple nodes for preferred policy
Due to restrictions of old kernels and libnuma APIs, the preferred NUMA
policy accepted just a single host NUMA node. With recent enough kernel
(v5.15.0) and libnuma (v2.0.15) it's possible to set multiple nodes.
* secret: Inhibit shutdown of daemon for ephemeral secrets
When an ephemeral secret is defined then automatic shutdown of virtsecretd
is inhibited. This is to avoid ephemeral secrets disappearing shortly
before their use.
* qemu: Report Hyper-V Enlightenments in domcapabilities
The supported Hyper-V Enlightenments are now reported in domain
* Bug fixes
* Fix NULL-pointer dereference `virXMLPropStringRequired`
Fix a bug where when parsing a XML property which is required to be present
by using `virXMLPropStringRequired` the parser will crash instead of
reporting an error.
* qemu: Init ext devices paths on reconnect
Paths for external devices are not stored in the status XML. Therefore,
when the daemon restarted and was reconnecting to a running domain, these
paths were left blank which led to the daemon crash.
* qemu: Validate arguments passed to `virConnectGetDomainCapabilities`
There was a code path in which insufficient validation of input arguments
of `virConnectGetDomainCapabilities` API was possible which led to the
daemon crash. This path is now fixed.
More information about the Libvirt-announce