Release of libvirt-9.8.0

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Mon Oct 2 07:35:18 UTC 2023

The 9.8.0 release of both libvirt and libvirt-python is tagged and
signed tarballs and source RPMs are available at

    https://download.libvirt.org/
    https://download.libvirt.org/python/

Thanks everybody who helped with this release by sending patches,
reviewing, testing, or providing feedback. Your work is greatly
appreciated.

* New features

  * network: New metadata change event

    The network object now has a new event ID ``VIR_NETWORK_EVENT_ID_METADATA_CHANGE``
    that can be used to get notifications upon changes in any of ``<title>``,
    ``<description>`` or ``<metadata>``.

  * qemu: Add support for vDPA block devices

    With a new enough version of qemu, libvirt will allow you to assign vDPA block
    devices to a domain. This is configured with::

      <disk type='vhostvdpa'>
        <source dev='/dev/vhost-vdpa-0'>

* Improvements

  * qemu: add nbdkit backend for network disks

    Up until now, libvirt supported network disks (http, ftp, ssh) by passing
    the URL to qemu and having the appropriate qemu block drivers handle the
    disk I/O. However, by handling the network I/O outside of the qemu process,
    we get several advantages, such as reduced attack surface and improved
    stability of qemu. Therefore, when available, libvirt will use nbdkit as a
    backend for these network disks and export an NBD disk to qemu.

  * virnetdevopenvswitch: Propagate OVS error messages

    When configuring OVS interfaces/bridges libvirt used to report its own
    error messages instead of passing (more accurate) error messages from
    `ovs-vsctl`. This is now changed.

  * Various virtio-mem/virtio-pmem fixes

    Now libvirt validates more values of virtio-mem and virtio-pmem devices,
    e.g. overlapping memory addresses or alignment.

Enjoy.

Jirka