[Libvirt-cim] LXC on sfcb Test Run Summary for Dec 22 2008

Kaitlin Rupert kaitlin at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Dec 23 18:04:45 UTC 2008

>>> NETNS support requires a kernel patch (or at least, last time I
>>> looked).  The kernel for this system doesn't have the proper
>>> support.  This test needs to SKIP if LXC_netns_support is set to False.
>>>
>> The value of LXC_netns_support is set to false by default in the
>> const.py. But, I guess this is not the appropriate way for verifying
>> the NETNS support.
>> Can you help me with the steps for automating the verification of the
>> NETNS support in the kernel ?
>> I shall update the tc to be skipped as of now for LXC by verifying the
>> LXC_netns_support variable, we can update the tc to call appropriate
>> function that verifies the NETNS support once it is in the test suite.
>>
> Is checking for CONFIG_NET_NS=y in the .config file of the kernel,
> sufficient for verifying the NETNS support ?

You can't guarantee that the running kernel was built with a given
config. There's a kernel flag that you can enable to store the kernel
config in /proc/config.gz, but kernels aren't often built with this flag
set.

libvirt checks the output of "ip --help".  If netns is listed, then both
ip and the kernel have NETNS support.  You could do a similar check in
const.py

Thanks!
--
Kaitlin Rupert