[Libvirt-cim] PoolID RASD property

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at novell.com
Thu Nov 6 16:57:27 UTC 2008

Dan Smith wrote:
> JF> Should this property be filled in on get of RASD?  Or is client
> JF> expected to follow associations to determine pool from which the
> JF> allocation occurs?  AFAICT, DSP1041 (RAP) is not clear on this.
>
> You mean on regular RASDs that belong to guests?

Yes.

> Looking up the pool membership during, say, enum of
> the regular RASDs is just another latency-inducing step, but I suppose
> it should be done...

Latency will be induced regardless, either on backend or by client
following associations :-(.  But is it wise to induce latency on the
backend, where all users are affected?  Is the latency increase on
backend small compared to client following associations?

I guess my question should really be directed at SVPC.  Client
developers assume they can get resource pool from PoolID.  Generally I
think the CIM model advocates associations to describe such
relationships.  But RAP is not clear on this.

Thanks,
Jim