[Libvirt-cim] PoolID RASD property

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at novell.com
Tue Nov 11 05:18:32 UTC 2008

Kaitlin Rupert wrote:
> The use case examples in the SVP show the PoolID set on the RASD
> instances.  However, setting the PoolID attribute appropriately, like
> you've both mentioned, is basically a re-implementation of the
> ResourceAllocationFromPool association.  It seems like a waste of
> processing to add it.
>
> Jim, you says that client developers assume that this attribute is
> set.  Have you run into any situations where its been needed?

No, I simply had client developers ask why the property is not set in
RASDs.  Understandably, they want to use it instead of invoking more CIM
operations.

IIRC this property was introduced for the "create" use cases, e.g.
AddResourceSettings, where there is no way to describe the relationship
via associations.  However, once the object exists its relationship to
other CIM objects is determined via associations.  I don't think RAP is
very clear in this regard, hence the questions/confusion.

Jim