[Libvirt-cim] Query on Pointing Device.

Kaitlin Rupert kaitlin at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Nov 19 17:30:50 UTC 2008

Deepti B Kalakeri wrote:
> What will happen when the input tag of the xml  has the following format ?
> <input type != 'mouse/tablet' bus != 'xen/usb/ps2'/>
> For ein on Xen_PointingDevice
> Should the caption be "Unknown bus Unknown device type" ??
>
> Though I tried creating a guest with invalid values in the input tags
> using the xml file,
> the guest was always created with the <input type='mouse' bus='xen'/>
> tag when I saw the dumpxml of the guest.
> Is there a way to supply invalid values to the input tag ?

If you try to create a guest with an invalid type or bus, you'll see
something like the following error:

<input type='invalid' bus='ps2'/>

libvir: Domain Config error : internal error unknown input device type
'invalid'
error: Failed to define domain from test

---------------

<input type='mouse' bus='invalid'/>

libvir: Domain Config error : internal error unknown input bus type
'invalid'
error: Failed to define domain from test

If we're unable to get the expected values from the guest, then some
kind of error in libvirt has occurred.  So setting the caption to
"Unknown bus Unknown device type" is a fall back in that case.
--
Kaitlin Rupert
IBM Linux Technology Center
kaitlin at linux.vnet.ibm.com