[Libvirt-cim] What is the current state of VM guest creation/modification, storage pools, and metrics in Libvirt-CIM?

Medlyn, Dayne (VSL - Ft Collins) dayne.medlyn at hp.com
Tue Jan 20 17:45:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

We have been looking into what some of the Libvirt-CIM wholes might be for our needs and possibly how we can help close some of those wholes.  I recently sat in on Dan Smiths presentation on the Libvirt-CIM and need a little bit of clarification.

>From Dan's presentation it sounds like the ability to create a VM configuration (currently we are most interested in Xen) already exists.  Can someone help me understand what that looks like right now?  I presume it involves something like establishing a configuration, adding components to it (such as memory, CPUs, storage, network, etc.), posting that configuration to host (the xenstore for Xen?), then starting the VM guest.  Does this include configuring to boot from install media? How about configuring for a network boot from which to do an install?  Does this interface also support modifying this configuration, either live or off-line?  Is there mechanism to validate new configurations before committing them?

Another aspect Dan talked about was Resource Pools.  I realize there is work going on to enhance Resource Pools.  Is the current implementation of Resource Pools limited to storage pools?  What type of storage is supported (iSCSI, NFS, Fibrechannel?, etc.)?

An area we are looking to help augment is around guest metrics, at least those that can be collected from the host.  Of particular interest are counters.  Is there anyone currently working on this that I should collaborate with?

I am beginning to dig into the code but I could use some quick answers. Thanks for the help.

Dayne Medlyn
Software Engineer
Hewlett Packard