[Libvirt-cim] What does NumberOfBlocks and ConsumableBlocks inthe Xen_Memory class represent?

Kaitlin Rupert kaitlin at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu May 14 22:10:44 UTC 2009

Medlyn, Dayne (VSL - Ft Collins) wrote:
> Kaitlin,
>
> Thanks for the correction.  It seems were trying to use these properties correctly and there is something just not right.  Using the same wbemcli command I get:
>
> -SystemCreationClassName="Xen_ComputerSystem"
> -SystemName="Domain-0"
> -CreationClassName="Xen_Memory"
> -DeviceID="Domain-0/mem"
>
> -ConsumableBlocks=1717760
> -NumberOfBlocks=4294967040
> -BlockSize=4096

Yes, that's definitely a bug.  The values for ConsumableBlocks and
NumberOfBlocks should be swapped.  I'd hoped to have a bugfix out today,
but it looks like it'll be tomorrow.

> One difference I did notice is that we are trying to use these values from Dom0 to determine the amount of available memory for guests to use.  Perhaps for Dom0 these values just map differently.

> My objective is to identify how much memory is available on the hypervisor that can be allocated to new guests.  Looking more closely, I wonder if we should be using Xen_MemoryPool somehow to do this instead.  What is the relationship between the Capacity and Reserved properties?  I have not quite been able to make sense out of what these values mean.  What I have noticed is that a host with no defined guests starts with Reserved smaller than Capacity:
>
> -PoolID="MemoryPool/0"
> -Primordial=FALSE
> -Capacity=8385536
> -Reserved=8064748
> -ResourceType=4
> -OtherResourceType=
> -ResourceSubType=
> -AllocationUnits="KiloBytes"
>
> As guests are create and start the Reserved count increases and grows beyond the capacity.  I am not quite sure how to make use of this information. Do you have any insights?

The Capacity value is the memory value libvirt reports for the host
(you'd also get this value if you use:  virsh nodeinfo).

The Reserved value is the some of all the memory that is currently
allocated to the guests on the system (as reported by libvirt).  This
includes guests that aren't running, which is why you are seeing the
value grow beyond capacity.

We don't represent the host capabilities, but in the case of Xen, you
can get around that by pulling some things from Dom0.

However, using Dom0's attribute may not give you the full picture you're
looking for.  I would suggest taking a look at a provider set that
represents the host information.  Something like the sblim-base
providers should this info.