[Libvirt-cim] RFC : Introducing new CIM_RES_TYPE for 9pfs support on QEMU/KVM environment

Deepak Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Dec 1 14:23:56 UTC 2011

Hi All,
    I need some help and inputs on the below.

1) I am looking at adding support for 9pfs ( 9p file system) in
libvirt-cim. NOTE the support for the same already exists  in libvirt &
qemu.

2) Using 9pfs support, user can export a host file system to the guest (
domain). It uses the virtio framework, so its a passthru file system.
NOTE: This support is exported as a 9p-virtio-device to the guest. Each
host export path is exported as a pseudo 9p device to the guest.
NOTE: This is currently supported only in qemu/kvm environment.

3) The xml tags related to 9pfs in libvirt are... an example below...

<filesystem type='mount'>
<driver type='handle'/>
<source dir='/tmp/virt1'/>
<target dir='test-lib'/>
<alias name='fs0'/>
<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
</filesystem>

The <filesystem> node comes directly under the <domain> node.

My approach for introducing 9pfs support in libvirt-cim is ...

1) Add a new CIM res type, eg; CIM_RES_TYPE_9PFS, is this ok ?

2) Add appropriate handlers for the above new resource type

3) Add new members in struct domain for representing this new device type.

4) Add appropriate xml parsing generation tags for the new resource type.

5) I probably need to add something like
KVM_9PFSResourceAllocationSettingData -- I am not very clear on this yet.
Need some help on how to do this ?

Would appreciate inputs.

thanx,
deepak