[Libvirt-cim] Unable to compile libvirt-cim : getting libgcrypt.la error

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:58:37 UTC 2011

Hi,
 I am getting the below error in trying to compile libvirt-cim
I m on a Ubuntu 11.04 desktop system.

dpkshetty at deepak-ThinkPad-T60p:~/work/libvirt-cim/libvirt-cim$ make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dpkshetty/work/libvirt-cim/libvirt-cim'
Making all in libxkutil
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/dpkshetty/work/libvirt-cim/libvirt-cim/libxkutil'
Making all in tests
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/dpkshetty/work/libvirt-cim/libvirt-cim/libxkutil/tests'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/dpkshetty/work/libvirt-cim/libvirt-cim/libxkutil/tests'
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/dpkshetty/work/libvirt-cim/libvirt-cim/libxkutil'
  CC     cs_util_instance.lo
  CC     misc_util.lo
  CC     device_parsing.lo
  CC     xmlgen.lo
  CC     infostore.lo
  CC     pool_parsing.lo
  CC     acl_parsing.lo
  CCLD   libxkutil.la
/bin/sed: can't read /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.la: No such file or
directory
libtool: link: `/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.la' is not a valid libtool
archive
make[3]: *** [libxkutil.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/dpkshetty/work/libvirt-cim/libvirt-cim/libxkutil'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/dpkshetty/work/libvirt-cim/libvirt-cim/libxkutil'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dpkshetty/work/libvirt-cim/libvirt-cim'
make: *** [all] Error 2

It first looked like the problem mentioned here @
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libgcrypt11/+bug/751142
But trying to update libgcrypt via apt-get says I already have the latest
library installed and apt-get does nothing.

I also put this obs and some workarounds I tried to get over this issue in
the launchpad defect, hoping to see some response.

I would like to know if anybody can point me to what i am missing

thanx,
deepak