[libvirt-users] Default network needed?

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Sat Apr 17 15:19:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 04:20:25AM +0200, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> long(ish) time libvirt users, first time poster.
>
> Question: Is the default network (192.168.122.0/24, NAT) created by
> libvirt needed at all when guests are connected to the host's bridge
> device (and not the default network)
>
> I.e. when I have
>
> <interface type='bridge'>
>   <source bridge='br0'/>
>   <model type='virtio'/>
> </interface>
>
> in my guest definition is the default network ever even used? Or can I
> safely remove it?
>
> This may be a naive or stupid question but I have not found a definitive
> answer studying the documentation. Can anybody enlighten me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andreas

Hello Andreas. It's not a naive question at all, but it has a simple
answer: Yes, you can safely remove it if you haven't attached any VMs
to it. We set it up strictly as a convenience, mostly for developers
who are trying to use virt on a laptop with a wifi connection that is
up and down a lot.

Take care,
--Hugh

Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com, +1-215-564-3232