[libvirt-users] Restarting network on host completely cuts off guests. Why? How to prevent?

Andreas Ntaflos daff at pseudoterminal.org
Sun Apr 18 01:38:20 UTC 2010

Hi list,

this probably isn't a completely libvirt-specific question but I'll try
anyway. Please ignore if it is too much off-topic.

On an Ubuntu (9.10) virtualisation host, running KVM and libvirt and
several guests (Debian, Ubuntu, Windows Server 2003) in a bridged
network fashion [1,2] I noticed that performing

/etc/init.d/networking restart

on the host completely cuts off all guests from the network. I have to
manually shutdown and restart (virsh shutdown GUEST && virsh start
GUEST, a mere reboot doesn't suffice) them to get them onto the network
again. Obviously that's not ideal.

Is this the expected behaviour? Can I somehow re-establish guest network
connectivity without shutting down the guest first? Is my setup somehow
wrong or do I expect too much?

Any insight, explanation or pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Andreas

[1] http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Debian.2FUbuntu_Bridging
[2] http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Guest_configuration_2
--
Andreas Ntaflos

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4