[libvirt-users] Unable to switch ISO with virsh/kvm

Don Morrison dam at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 26 15:47:33 UTC 2010

I'd created a VM with "virsh create" that has a CD-ROM attached

 <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <source file='/images/myiso_1.2.iso'/>
      <target dev='sdb' bus='scsi'/>
      <readonly/>
      <alias name='scsi0-0-1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' unit='1'/>
    </disk>

Now I'd like to swap that iso out and mount a new one without taking down
the guest.  But it fails as follows:

virsh detach-disk sles-11 sdb
error: Failed to detach disk
error: this function is not supported by the hypervisor: This type of
device cannot be hot unplugged

Attaching a new iso also fails.

virsh attach-disk sles-11 /images/myiso_1.3,iso sdc  --type cdrom --mode
readonly
error: Failed to attach disk
error: internal error No device with bus 'scsi' and target 'sdc'

I've tried all of the variations I can think of (including attach-device
detach-device, ide vs scsi, block vs file, mounting an empty CDROM device,
etc) and I can't get this to work. It does work when the VM is powered
down, but I need to do the iso switch when the VM is up, which seems like
pretty basic functionality if trying to install an OS that covers multiple
ISOs.  Is this expected to work? If so, any tips on what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks.

I'm running SLES 11 SP1 (beta)

damkvm:/tmp # virsh --version
0.7.6