[libvirt-users] libvirt and lxc

Nirmal Guhan vavatutu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 17:28:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Ryota Ozaki <ozaki.ryota at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nirmal,
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Nirmal Guhan <vavatutu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is anyone using libvirt for lxc ? I am trying to do so and running
>> into an issue. The system container starts fine with lxc tools and am
>> able to connect to it.
>>
>> Here is the snippet of my xml file (rest is same as in
>> http://libvirt.org/drvlxc.html)
>>
>>  <devices>
>>    <emulator>/usr/libexec/libvirt_lxc</emulator>
>>    <filesystem type='mount'>
>>      <source dir='/lxc/f12'/>
>>      <target dir='/'/>
>>    </filesystem>
>>    <interface type='bridge'>
>>      <mac address='52:54:00:82:87:64'/>
>>      <source bridge='br0'/>
>>      <target dev='tap0'/>
>>    </interface>
>>    <console type='pty'>
>>      <target port='0'/>
>>    </console>
>>  </devices>
>>
>> Am able to start the container but when I do console :
>>
>> virsh # console f12lxc
>> Connected to domain f12lxc
>> Escape character is ^]
>> <<hangs here and I press enter, it destroys the domain>>
>> virsh #
>
> Probably you set:
>  <os>
>    <type>exe</type>
>    <init>/init</init>
>  </os>
> right? If so, could you try "/bin/sh" instead of "/init"?

Thanks. /bin/bash got me to console. But the init sequence for my
container is different from the one started using lxc tools with
/bin/bash. So I changed it to /sbin/init and now I can get the usual
login prompt. Fun doesn't end there. Am prompted for login but the
password is never accepted whereas I can login using the same password
(as root) in the container started using lxc tools. So eventually am
not able to login :-(