[libvirt-users] Installing a VM to a virtio disk

Brian Roberg robergb at dm.org
Thu Aug 26 15:11:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Brian Roberg <robergb at dm.org> wrote:

> When provisioning new VMs, is it possible to enable virtio for the guest's
> storage at the time of the installation? When I try to do so, the Ubuntu
> installer says, "No root file system is defined" when it gets to the
> partitioning step.

This turned out to be a silly mistake on my part. (Note: The problem and
solution I'll describe here are not libvirt-specific, but since I asked the
question here I thought it best to provide the answer too.)

In the preseed file I was using for the installer, I had placed a line I'd
copied from Ubuntu's example configuration:

  d-i partman-auto/disk string /dev/sda

The virtio_blk driver was ready to be used, but I was still telling the
installer to use the non-virtio device. Installation to the virtio block
device succeeded after I replaced that line with this one:

  d-i partman/early_command string debconf-set partman-auto/disk
"$(list-devices disk | head -n1)"

--
Brian