[libvirt-users] Is it possible to live migrate guest OS'es between different versions of kvm/qemu-kvm with libvirt?

Nils Cant nils.cant at kangaroot.net
Mon Aug 30 08:49:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

I currently have a couple of Debian KVM servers with all a different
version of kvm or qemu-kvm.
I can live migrate a guest OS from one server to the other just fine, as
long as the version of qemu-kvm is the same.

However, when I try to migrate a guest to a server running a newer (or
older) version of qemu-kvm, I run into problems. I think this is because
the xml configuration differs slightly between version.

For example, if I try to migrate from a server running qemu-kvm 0.11.0
to one running qemu-kvm 0.12.4, I get the following error:

virt01:~# virsh migrate --live testserver qemu+ssh://192.168.1.7/system
error: internal error unable to reserve PCI address 0:0:3

When migrating from kvm 85 to qemu-kvm 0.11.0:

virt02:~# virsh migrate --live testserver qemu+ssh://192.168.1.2/system
error: Unknown failure

Migrating one from 0.12.4 to 0.11.0 just completely breaks libvirt,
forcing me to kill -9 libvirtd and the kvm instance, etc.

I believe this is caused in part because different versions of qemu-kvm
need different xml configurations. To run my testserver on 0.12.4 for
example, I need to delete the lines with the PCI id's, just to be able
to start it.

So, is there a way to make this work? Perhaps tell libvirt to not send
the config file when doing a live migrate, and use the xml in
/etc/libvirt/qemu instead somehow?

Thanks in advance,

Nils