[libvirt-users] building libvirt-0.8.3 for windows ( with dlls )

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 16 00:45:21 UTC 2010

2010/8/12 Gal Gafni <gal at csl-int.com>:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to compile the latest libvirt (0.8.3 ) on windows and the
> configure fails to find XDR lib.

Even without your XDR problem libvirt 0.8.3 won't compile successfully
on Windows, you'll at least need this additional patch:

  http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=177e17e4626e18c1ce80f852e5a573ec2530db7c

So you either apply this patch manually on top of the libvirt 0.8.3
tarball (this will require autotools available, because the patch
touches configure.ac), or you build from the hourly git snapshot:

  http://libvirt.org/sources/libvirt-git-snapshot.tar.gz

> I installed the xdr-4.0-mingw2   and configure complains the XDR library
> doesn't exist.
> Should I get another XDR lib?

I'm not sure where you got xdr-4.0-mingw2 from. I use the portablexdr lib

  http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/portablexdr/files/portablexdr-4.9.1.tar.gz

> The command I run:
>
> $ ./configure --with-esx --without-sasl   --without-avahi
> --without-polkit
> --without-python   --without-xen   --without-qemu   --without-lxc
> --without-o
> penvz   --without-libvirtd

You also might need to run configure with additional envvars set in
order to have it pick up the libs correctly

  CFLAGS=-I/include LDFLAGS=-L/lib ./configure

Because MSYS (I assume you use MSYS) uses /include and /lib instead of
/usr/include and /usr/lib.

> the last 10 lines of configure:
> checking for mntent.h... no
> checking net/ethernet.h usability... no
> checking net/ethernet.h presence... no
> checking for net/ethernet.h... no
> checking linux/magic.h usability... no
> checking linux/magic.h presence... no
> checking for linux/magic.h... no
> checking for xdrmem_create in -lportablexdr... no
> checking for library containing xdrmem_create... no
> configure: error: Cannot find a XDR library
>
> is there a a guide somewhere in the list for compiling the windows
> version on mingw?

Non I'm aware of.

A while ago I created a bunch of scripts that setup an MSYS/MinGW
environment on Windows, download and/or compile all dependencies and
finally compile libvirt.

You can find this scripts on github:

  http://github.com/photron/msys_setup

Currently the scripts build libvirt 0.8.1, they are a bit outdated by
now. I'll probably update them soon.

Matthias