[libvirt-users] Installing a VM to a virtio disk

Brian Roberg robergb at dm.org
Fri Aug 20 17:00:34 UTC 2010

When provisioning new VMs, is it possible to enable virtio for the guest's
storage at the time of the installation? When I try to do so, the Ubuntu
installer says, "No root file system is defined" when it gets to the
partitioning step.

Here's the disk option I'm giving to virt-install:

  --disk pool=libvirt-pool,size=4,bus=virtio

(I'm also using "--os-variant=ubuntulucid".)

I've been able to install a new VM using the IDE storage driver first and
then switch to virtio after the installation is complete, but it would
simplify the process if it could start with virtio right off the bat.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ("Lucid") host and guest, which provides libvirt
0.7.5 and kernel 2.6.32.

I'm about ready to concede defeat and set up a way to automate making the
change after the installation, but I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!

--
Brian