[libvirt-users] libvirt unavailable while a VM is in migration?]

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Dec 22 19:13:35 UTC 2010

On 23/12/2010, at 5:44 AM, Igor Serebryany wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 02:14:42PM +0100, Jiri Denemark wrote:
>> Ouch, I wonder if that could be the reason...
>
> Just to make sure that my strange compiling/packages aren't causing the
> problem, I've set up two servers running fedora 14 with the official
> libvirt packages. i experience the same problem -- while a vm is in
> migration, nothing else works. my traces reveal libvirt getting stuck at
> the same exact spot as on my debian machines.

This sounded familiar, so went looking in git history.  I *think* this is
what was sounding familiar, from ~ libvirt 0.8.2:

commit 755b53f946107539ba6faf3022450b3d0bbe1d78
Author: Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
Date:   Thu Jun 24 19:15:27 2010 +0100

    Avoid blocking all APIs during incoming migration

    During incoming migration the QEMU monitor is not able to be
    used. The incoming migration code did not keep hold of the
    job lock because migration is split across multiple API calls.
    This meant that further monitor commands on the guest would
    hang until migration finished with no timeout.

    In this change the qemuDomainMigratePrepare method sets the
    job flag just before it returns. The qemuDomainMigrateFinish
    method checks for this job flag & clears it once done. This
    prevents any use of the monitor between prepare+finish steps.

    The qemuDomainGetJobInfo method is also updated to refresh
    the job elapsed time. This means that virsh domjobinfo can
    return time data during incoming migration

    * src/qemu/qemu_driver.c: Keep a job active during incoming
      migration. Refresh job elapsed time when returning job info

Anyone know if this is actually relevant?

> i am desperate to get this bug fixed, and i don't think i have the
> resources to try to patch it myself. is there anything i can do to help
> you guys? more debugging info? foot massage?

Good idea.  Foot massages would definitely be an incentive I
could be convinced with. :)

(it would probably help if I was the right kind of coder for this,
but I'm not)