[libvirt-users] virt-manager can't start

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 02:23:25 UTC 2010

From: Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com>
To: Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com>
Cc: libvirt-users at redhat.com
Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 11:11:46 PM
Subject: Re: [libvirt-users] virt-manager can't start

- snip -

> You shouldn't be changing the ownership of the .virt-manager directory. If
> running virt-manager and connecting to qemu:///system, a policykit dialog will
> appear asking for root (on fedora at least), however the app will still be
> running as a regular user.

Hi Cole,

Host - Debian 5.0
KVM
Libvert

This Virtual Machine has been running sometimes.

Before, on Gnome desktop

Applications - Sytem Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager
starts;
Autheticate
System Policy prevents management of local virtualized systems

After entering root password -> Authenticate
starts "Virtual Machine Manager"

For unknown cause/incident ;
On Gnome desktop;

Applications - Sytem Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager

popup following error
> popup following error;
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 346, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 248, in main
>    setup_logging()
>  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 124, in setup_logging
>    os.mkdir(vm_dir)
> OSError: [Errno 17] File exists: '/home/satimis/.virt-manager'
> - end -

Then I ran "apt-get remove libvert" to remove it.  And reinstalled it later.

However

Applications - System Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager
starts "Virtual Machine Manager" without asking for root password to authenticate

$ ls -al /home/satimis/ | grep virt-manager
drwxr-xr-x  2 satimis  satimis      4096 2009-05-31 06:11 .virt-manager

If I change its owner to "root  root" it popup above warning.  I can't start "Virtual Machine Manager".

How can I restore its original state requesting root password for authentication before starting "Virtual Machine Manager"?  TIA

B.R.
Stephen