[libvirt-users] Storage requirement for KVM

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Sat Jan 30 06:38:37 UTC 2010

In terms of physical hardware you can use any storage hardware
compatible with Linux (which is almost everything). I think that's
what you were asking. In terms of how the virtual disk appears to the
operating system inside the KVM virtual machine, it may appear as a
different kind of device, but that shouldn't be a problem. Note that
with network storage protocols such as iSCSI you should be able to
bypass the overhead of virtualising the hardware, and just connect to
the storage device(s) directly from the guest over the virtual
network(s), if the guest software supports that. However, I have no
clue about the speed of iSCSI compared to other methods - I'm not
trying to say "use iSCSI", I'm just trying to say "if you are going to
use iSCSI, this is how you can use it".
--
Robin