[libvirt-users] How to debug Ubuntu 8.04 LTS guest crash during install?

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Wed Jan 27 15:23:23 UTC 2010

Daniel:

> > I tried turning on the debug option for virt-install but that
> > did not give me any useful info.
>
> virt-install debug options only relate to host side
> debugging. From your
> description it sounds like the crashes is guest side, so you'd likely
> need to set guest kenrel debug options - eg make it log to the serial
> console at boot time so you see guest kernel messages

Thank you for getting back to me.  I have been trying to figure
out how set the guest to log messages to the serial console.

I tried this command:

virt-install -n v1092 -r 512 --vcpus=1 --check-cpu --os-type=linux
--os-variant=ubuntuhardy -v --accelerate
-c /tmp/turnkey-lamp-2009.10-hardy-x86.iso
-f /var/lib/libvirt/images/v1092.img -s 15 -b br0
--nographics -x "console ttyS0"

When I do that, I get this output:

Starting install...
Creating domain...

Connected to domain v1092
Escape character is ^]

And then it just sits there doing nothing.

My guess is the host is connected to a serial port, but the
guest does not know to set its console to that port.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net/cpanel
cPanel/WHM preinstalled on a virtual server for only $40/month!