[libvirt-users] Problem creating VM: "tap: not a valid disk type"

Arik Raffael Funke arik at funke.eu
Sat Jan 30 21:31:46 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am having problems creating VMs in virt-manager.

I have played with different xen hypervisor versions 3.0 & 3.4 (with rpm
-i --force) but have in principle gone back to the originals. - Though I
cannot absolutely exclude that something has gone wrong.

In principle I am using rhel 5.4 with the gitco xen 3.4 hypervisor.

Can anybody put me on the right track with the attached error message?
Note, the storage file I am attempting to use does exist.

Many thanks,
Arik

===
Unable to complete install 'libvirt.libvirtError POST operation failed:
xend_post: error from xen daemon: (xend.err 'Error creating domain:
Invalid Configuration: tap: not a valid disk type')
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1485, in
do_install
     dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 628,
in start_install
     return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 726,
in _do_install
     self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1077, in
createLinux
     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
conn=self)
'