[libvirt-users] C API example

Dave Allan dallan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 1 01:54:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 11:34:12AM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 07/01/2010 11:12 AM, steven765 at yahoo.com wrote:
> >Trying to build the hellolibvirt example.  I get the project to
> >compile okay but when I try to run it I get:
> >
> >Unable to connect to '/usr/local/var/run/libvirt/libivrt-sock
> >
> >Given libvirt --status says it's in /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
> >that makes sense.  How do I make the git version run with my local
> >copy?

./hellolibvirt \
qemu+unix:///system?socket=/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock

will let you connect to the packaged daemon.

> At the moment (still learning things), this works for me:
>
>   $ ./configure --prefix=/
>   $ make
>
> I don't (!) do "make install" afterwards though, as that would
> likely install over the top of system provided things.

Indeed it will overwrite things.  If I'm building from source on a
machine that has packaged libvirt installed, I just use a prefix like

--prefix=/root/gitlibvirt/install

Then you can run a second copy of libvirtd if you decide you want to.

Dave