[libvirt-users] Dual-boot and also use raw disk in virtual machine

Richard Walker walkerrichardj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 03:09:14 UTC 2010

I've got a new computer with two SATA disks.
I installed a minimal Fedora 13 64-bit on the first disk.
I shut down the computer, unplugged the first disk,
booted up and installed Windows 7 on the second disk.
Then I shut down, and plugged the first disk back in.
I added a grub option to boot Windows from the second disk.
All fine so far - I had a working dual boot system.

Then in F13 using virt-manager I created a virtual machine using the second
disk as a raw disk.  Well, the only option I had (using
virt-manager, at least) was to configure it as an IDE disk.
Booting this virtual machine gets as far as "Starting Windows",
and the animation appears (a dot or two), and then BSOD.
Running the Windows diagnosis didn't help.

I gave up.  Then, keeping the same virtual machine configuration,
I installed Windows 7 again into the virtual machine.
I shut down the computer and booted from the second disk.
Saw "Starting Windows", and the animation got a bit further,
but got a BSOD again.

Now running sfdisk -l /dev/sdb in the F13 host shows:

Disk /dev/sdb: 121601 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *      0+     12-     13-    102400    7  HPFS/NTFS
                start: (c,h,s) expected (0,32,33) found (2,0,33)
                end: (c,h,s) expected (12,223,19) found (205,3,19)
/dev/sdb2         12+ 121601- 121589- 976657408    7  HPFS/NTFS
                start: (c,h,s) expected (12,223,20) found (205,3,20)
                end: (c,h,s) expected (1023,254,63) found (1023,15,63)
/dev/sdb3          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/sdb4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty

So there is some obvious disagreement about the
partition table.

Am I going to be able to get this to work?