[libvirt-users] cannot acquire state change lock

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 10:34:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:34:33AM +0100, Julian Robbins wrote:
> Hi
>
> I keep getting libvirtError: Timed out during operation: cannot acquire
> state change lock
> errors - what does this mean exactly ?

When ever any API call attempts to change the state of a guest, it
first acquires a lock. This error message means that it failed to
acquire the lock, because some other previous API call was still
holding it.

THis may or may not be a bug, depending on what the other API call is
doing. Some API calls like migration are expected to take a very long
time, others should be always fast.

Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|