[libvirt-users] Java Bindings against RHEL5.5 KVM

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 12:49:09 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm doing some dev work against the native RHEL/centos 5.5 KVM
installation for maintenance, creation and deletion of virtual guests
using the libvirt API vai the java bindings from a java based web app.

Things in general seem to be working - I can connect to and query the
kvm instance using the libvirt interface and get a list of guests,
pull information about them and stop/start/restart guests.

I'm hitting a bit of an issue with creation of a guest however....

When calling domainDefineXML with XML following the domain XML
specification (with the XML as per a dumpxml on the relevant box) I
get an error creating the guest of:

"internal error unknown lifecycle action restart "

The virsh version information for the host is:

Compiled against library: libvir 0.6.3
Using library: libvir 0.6.3
Using API: QEMU 0.6.3
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.10.5

I have tried this against my ubuntu system as well with the same error
- that has version:

Compiled against library: libvir 0.7.5
Using library: libvir 0.7.5
Using API: QEMU 0.7.5
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.12.3

I'm currently using jna 3.2.5 with libvirt 0.4.5 bindings.

The example XML being used is:

<domain type="kvm">
  <name>
    newguestfomwebapp
  </name>
  <memory>
    512
  </memory>
  <vcpu>
    1
  </vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch="x86_64" machine="rhel5.4.0">
      hvm
    </type>
    <boot dev="hd"/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <pae/>
  </features>
  <clock offset="utc"/>
  <on_poweroff>
    destroy
  </on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>
    restart
  </on_reboot>
  <on_crash>
    restart
  </on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>
      /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm
    </emulator>
    <disk type="file" device="cdrom">
      <driver name="qemu" type="raw"/>
      <source file="/var/lib/libvirt/images/ISOs/centos5.5-ks.iso"/>
      <target dev="hdc" bus="ide"/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>
    <interface type="network">
      <source network="default"/>
      <model type="virtio"/>
    </interface>
    <input type="mouse" bus="ps2"/>
    <graphics type="vnc" port="-1" autoport="yes"/>
  </devices>
</domain>

If I remove the lifecycle information from the xml I get:

"unknown OS type hvm "

The xml works from the command line with virsh define ...

Anyone seen anything similar or have any ideas?

Regards,

James