[libvirt-users] Host should not touch passed-through USB device, how?

Andreas Ntaflos daff at pseudoterminal.org
Tue Jun 1 18:58:22 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 01 June 2010 19:42:55 Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > > So I am looking for a way to make sure the host passes through
> > > the USB device (in its entirety) without trying to touch it and
> > > claim it as its own. Preferably without disabling the USB
> > > storage subsystem completely on the host.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? Is there a best practice for such things in the
> > > Libvirt world? Or any other world?
> >
> > For PCI devices, libvirt automatically performs a device reset and
> > some other voodoo to make sure the host doesn't try to use the
> > device. Maybe there is something similar that libvirt can do for
> > USB devices as well? I'm not very knowledgable about that stuff so
> > I can't say for certain.
>
> Yes there is the same. We need to finish implementing identical
> infrastructure to that used for PCI devices. We need to do resets
> and bind/unbind host device drivers, and implement the so called
> 'managed' mode.

Hi,

thanks to both of you for your replies!

Great to know you guys are working on it, but just to be clear: at the
moment Libvirt does not yet see to it that USB devices are unbound from
their drivers on the host?

Do you have any idea how I could perform the necessary steps by myself
so that my particular USB GSM modem is unbound from and not accessed by
the host? I am not very familiar with USB device and driver management
these days; it has just gotten too easy: plug the device in and wait for
the desktop environment to do something :)

Thanks again,

Andreas
--
Andreas Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4