[libvirt-users] Best practices on backingup/restore VMs

Justin Clift justin at salasaga.org
Tue Jun 8 05:48:15 UTC 2010

On 06/08/2010 02:59 PM, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I just moved from F11 to F13 and I'm find no information on the best
> way to restore VMs. I had just copied /var/lib/libvirt (with the VMs
> off) as part of my backup (I already backup all of /etc). But
> virt-manager doesn't allow creations of VMs without installing.
>
> Also, as a side note, the search feature on the website doesn't seem
> to allow me to search using documentation only.

Hi Arthur,

It sounds like you already have working and valid XML configuration
files saved somewhere.

You may want to take a look at importing those XML configuration files
(one by one) directly into your new F13 setup.

Look into the virsh "define" then "start" commands, used from the
command line.

That should get you started.  There is plenty of info on the Net, in the
man pages, and in the Fedora 13 Virtualization Guide, about this.

Hope that helps. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--