[libvirt-users] Snapshots - can't take a snapshot with running VM

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Tue Jun 15 13:03:39 UTC 2010

On 06/15/10 - 01:11:53PM, Julian Robbins wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm quite new to KVM/libvirt0 so hope you can help
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 and libvirt0 0.8.1
>
> When I try a :-
>
> snapshot create vm_name
>
> I get an error, ie 'error -5 while writing'
>
> Googling doesnt bring anything up. Taking snapshots of a vm when it
> isnt running works fine.
>
> Can I really only create snapshots of a vm when it isnt running ?

No, you should be able to take a snapshot both while it is running and
while it is off.  However, they use different mechanisms so there could be
a bug in the online version.  What version of qemu/kvm are you running?
Also, do you have apparmor enabled/running?  If so, and if the apparmor policy
hasn't been updated, that might be the source of your problems.

--
Chris Lalancette