[libvirt-users] Some missunderstanding in the wiki page

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda leo at alaxarxa.net
Wed Jun 30 09:35:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm not in the list and I just would like to comment it to the comunity. So,
if someone want to contact me, make CC to me in the reply.

The wiki page [1] talk about networking, and show two typical configurations:
"virtual network" and "shared physical device".

The shared physical device has an error or something that could make confused,
I think. What I want to say? In my case, I have a box with several nics, and
I want to speciffy that ethX should be used exclusively but virtual domain X.

The documentation is clear in this: The NAT based connectivity is useful for
quick & easy deployments, or on machines with dynamic/sporadic networking
connectivity. More advanced users will want to use full bridging, where the
guest is connected directly to the LAN.

The configuration (I have follow only the debian/ubuntu steps) shows that br0
has assigned an IP. I did the mistake to try to assign the same IP in the
guest network configuration, I understand that, and obviously it doesn't work
(duplicate IPs). So, to me, it would me more clear if the br0 interface has
no IP. In my case, I have two nics: eth0 the interface for the host and eth1
for the guest. The eth1 part in my network/interfaces is:

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet manual
        bridge_ports  eth1
        bridge_stp    on
        bridge_maxwait  0
        bridge_fd       0

and then in the guest you configure the IP as you want. In the host, eth1 (or
whatever interface you bridge) has no IP, so it's not used, and the guest
uses completely.

What do you think?

Regards,

Leo