[libvirt-users] virsh shutdown does not stop XP-Pro guest

Don Morrison dam at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 17 20:15:54 UTC 2010

I've been trying to get "virsh shutdown" to work against an XP-Pro guest
with no luck so far. It seems to have no effect - I have to run "virsh
destroy" instead which is less than desirable. I have enabled <acpi> in the
domain xml so I think the problem is on the guest side. A couple of
questions:

1) How can I confirm whether the XP guest has ACPI enabled. I actually
think it doesn't because when I  look at the "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"
device driver name, it lists "hal.dll". This is NOT ACPI enabled according
to this site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457123.aspx.  Am
I reading this correctly?
2) I tried to enable ACPI at install time by bringing up virt-viewer and
pressing F5 on the blue install screen as instructed here:
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/enable-acpi-in-xp-without-reinstall-/36056.html
  But F5 didn't have any effect. Has anybody else been able to get this to
work?

I'm running KVM 0.12.2-0.4.1 and  Libvirt 0.7.6-1.2.3

Thanks.

Don Morrison