[libvirt-users] Problem attaching device

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 20:32:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:41:21PM -0700, steven765 at yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks, but problem still persists. I actually fat fingered entering it the first time
>
> The xmlfile really is:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <interface type="network">
>   <mac address="52:54:00:5c:fe:a8"/>
>   <source network="default"/>
>   <target dev="vnet1"/>
> </interface>
>
>  I ran xmllint and it just says no DTD specified,

  not normal,

> > xmllint net.xml

as I suggested should never ask for a DTD !

> however this works perfectly if i use the attach-device command in virsh.

  then this proves it's well formed and libvirt finds the informations
it looks after.

> I tired it both with and without the first line version=1.0

  yup that's XML metadata, does not need to be present

> I try running it through python and boom, is there something else
> I'm missing?

  You probably failed to load it into python one way or another.

> I can't find any documentation about the overall libvirt xml schema.

Using Relax-NG syntax, usually stored in:

  /usr/share/libvirt/schemas/

xmllint --noout --relaxng foo.rng foo.xml

outputs the result of the validation of foo.xml against foo.rng
schemas,

Daniel