[libvirt-users] ESX access using libvirt

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 4 17:26:15 UTC 2010

2010/3/4 Jonathan Kelley <jkelley at vm-labs.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to access an ESXi host using libvirt but it seems that it
> requires netcat to be running on the ESX server.
>
> My ESX 4 does not have this installed and I am wondering if this is
> required or is there some other way to get this working?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

No, you do not have to install anything on the ESX or ESXi server.
libvirt works with an out-of-the-box installation of ESX.

Make sure your libvirt version is new enough (0.7.0 or newer) and that
the ESX support is enabled. For example if you've installed libvirt
from Debian packages then you'll need to build libvirt from source,
because Debian explicitly disables ESX support in their packages for
some unknown reason.

See http://libvirt.org/drvesx.html if you haven't yet.

Matthias