[libvirt-users] FYI: Notes on setting up KVM guests using iSCSI

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed May 5 11:23:23 UTC 2010

DV suggested that we document some libvirt setups using shared storage. I'm
not a fan of NFS, so I wrote some blog posts on how to use iSCSI in the
context of libvirt + KVM.

There is of course more than one way todo things, so I've outlined a couple
of different options. One completely manual command line approach using
tgtadm on the iSCSI server:

  http://berrange.com/posts/2010/05/05/provisioning-kvm-virtual-machines-on-iscsi-the-hard-way-part-1-of-2/

..and virsh/virt-install on the KVM host

  http://berrange.com/posts/2010/05/05/provisioning-kvm-virtual-machines-on-iscsi-the-hard-way-part-2-of-2/

Then one completely GUI based approach, using a QNAP NAS as the iSCSI server

  http://berrange.com/posts/2010/05/04/provisioning-kvm-virtual-machines-on-iscsi-with-qnap-virt-manager-part-1-of-2/

..and a virt-manager on the KVM host:

  http://berrange.com/posts/2010/05/04/provisioning-kvm-virtual-machines-on-iscsi-with-qnap-virt-manager-part-2-of-2/

You can of course mix+match, doing the iSCSI server the manual way and the
libvirt bits the GUI way and vica-verca. Any other commercial iSCSI server
will have the same concepts so the libvirt instructions apply in all likely
scenarios.

Regards,
Daniel
--