[libvirt-users] Full documentation for virsh?

David Ehle ehle at agni.phys.iit.edu
Wed May 5 20:15:20 UTC 2010

Hello,

Does anyone know where full documentation for virsh can be found? Or if
the there are any plans to update the man page?

The man page lists far fewer commands than virsh lists from its
interactive mode when you type help.

I noticed this when I was trying to figure out the difference between
pool-destroy, and pool-delete. The help entries in the virsh shell are not
very informative:
virsh # help pool-destroy
   NAME
     pool-destroy - destroy a pool

   SYNOPSIS
     pool-destroy <pool>

   DESCRIPTION
     Destroy a given pool.

   OPTIONS
     <pool>           pool name or uuid

virsh # help pool-delete
   NAME
     pool-delete - delete a pool

   SYNOPSIS
     pool-delete <pool>

   DESCRIPTION
     Delete a given pool.

   OPTIONS
     <pool>           pool name or uuid

... unless you already know how virsh defines delete vs destroy.

(anyone care to explain it to me?)

The word pool does not occur in the virsh man page for Ubuntu Karmic
release at least.

Thanks for the great list!