[libvirt-users] Hot-add interface crashes libvirt

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu May 27 14:31:50 UTC 2010

On 05/26/2010 06:33 PM, steven765 at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>    After upgrading FC12 and now FC13 whenever I try to attach a network device using attach-device it promptly crashes libvirtd.  Is there an option that changed in the network interface xml spec I missed?
>    I really need this feature or at least the ability to connect and disconnect interfaces if that's possible?
>
> I've tried defining my network card in several ways:
>
> First the one that worked previously:
>
> <interface type="network">
>    <mac address="52:54:00:5c:fe:a8"/>
>    <source network="fedora"/>
> </interface>

This should work with virsh attach-device $VMNAME $XMLFILE. I can't seem
to reproduce this issue on F12 though. Can you capture the libvirtd crash?

- debuginfo-install libvirt
- service libvirtd stop
- gdb libvirtd, at the prompt type 'run'
- In another terminal, reproduce the crash
- In gdb, type 'thread apply all bt'

Post that output here, along with all your libvirt and qemu versions,
and what steps you took to reproduce.

> Second copying what appeared in the xml after using the add hardware through the VMM:
>

> <interface type='network'>
>    <mac address='52:54:00:5c:fe:a8'/>
>    <source network='fedora'/>
>    <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
> </interface>

Manually specifying the <address> piece shouldn't be required, libvirt
will autogenerate it for you.

- Cole