[libvirt-users] monitoring kvm machines with libvirt

Karsten Knese Karsten.Knese at kit.edu
Mon May 31 14:22:59 UTC 2010

Hey folks.

Currently, i am working on my bachelorthesis. Subject of this thesis is
to setup an accounting-solution for the Private Cloud with Eucalyptus.
Eucalyptus works with libvirt providing kvm instances.

my question is, if i can grep facts like general uptimes, cpu-peaks and
disk i/o of each vm with libvirt-tools?!
I just found one called virt-top, which monitors each vm, but
unfortunately it produces to much overhead.
If you should be no tool, can anybody give me a hint, where i best look
at to grep these facts?

First try is to grep the uptime of each vm by writing a little deamon,
checking one time per minute via virsh, if the vm is in state running.
But i don't know, if this is best.

thanks for your support!
cheers,
Karsten