Re: [libvirt-users] SCSI tape drive device

On 10/29/10 - 09:27:58AM, Tom Stave wrote:
> I have a SCSI tape backup unit attached to a kvm host managed by
> libvirt.  Is there a way to expose the SCSI device in libvirt so I
> could pass the device to a virtual machine and have the virtual
> machine control the tape backup?
>
> Defining the device as a SCSI disk does not appear to work.

kvm does not support passthrough of individual SCSI devices today.  The only
way you can make this work today is to pass through the entire SCSI
HBA as a PCI device to the guest, at which point the guest should be able to
initialize the SCSI controller and use the tape unit.

--
Chris Lalancette