[libvirt-users] libvirtd & dnsmasq

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Sat Nov 20 04:43:06 UTC 2010

On 20/11/2010, at 5:17 AM, James M Leddy wrote:
> It's because of this:
<snip>
> I put in a request to get it removed.

Hmmm, pretty sure that removing it isn't the best strategy in this instance. :)

dnsmasq is kind of essential to the way libvirt uses virtual networks.  Having the "default" virtual network not be created, just creates a different set of problems.

If a SysAdmin creates some other virtual network on the host (a fairly standard thing to do), then dnsmasq will be started up for that instead, and we're back to the same problem of conflicting with a system install of dnsmasq.

The info on the wiki page is part of the right technical solution, as it allows a system wide installation of dnsmasq to not conflict with the libvirt spawned versions.

Not sure how to make it more automatic though.  We should definitely document it properly in the RHEL 6.x Virtualization Guide though.  Something for Laine to include in this content for the VG I reckon. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift