[libvirt-users] libvirtio version compatibility...

Erik Brakkee erik at brakkee.org
Sun Nov 14 22:35:46 UTC 2010

Hi,

I intend to run a server with about 4 VMs with KVM and would like to use
virtio for performance. However, one thing that is holding me back is
compatibility. In the past I have seen with Xen that the paravirtualized
drivers of one version in the host (dom0) would not always be compatible
with a version in the client.

If I would run into compatibility problems than I would like to continue
to use full virtualization despite the performance impact. Therefore my
question. In case I am running a setup with a host and a number of
domains, is it guaranteed that I can do the following:

    * upgrade the host independent of the guests
    * upgrade a guest independent of the host

Cheers
   Erik

--

Nonsense and other useful things: http://brakkee.org