[libvirt-users] LXC

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Tue Oct 5 06:34:00 UTC 2010

At Mon, 04 Oct 2010 23:53:49 +0200,
Papp Tamás wrote:
> <os>
> <type arch='x86_64'>exe</type>
> <init>/sbin/init</init>
> </os>

I have avoided running /sbin/init because of various problems, including:

1. udev doesn't work inside LXC
2. getty will overwrite/steal your host's virtual consoles, by default
3. init instantly dying - see http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2010-January/msg00218.html

and probably some other problems that I can't remember. Your problem is
familiar, but I can't remember what my solution to it was.

Now it may be that Ubuntu has been patched to fix some of these problems
- I don't know.

But I would recommend you try setting your init option to /bin/bash, and
then (if you are able to get a console) start the services you want
manually.

If you are still not able to get a console, the first thing I personally
would try is different kernel versions (newer *or* older). I have
experienced a number of different issues with LXC, but I haven't had time
to write all of them up as bug reports, only some of them, so if you are
able to file reproducible bug reports that would be great.
--
Robin