[libvirt-users] [libvirt] New wiki pages with libvirt SSH setup instructions

Zdenek Styblik stybla at turnovfree.net
Wed Sep 22 09:33:10 UTC 2010

Hello Justin,

just to give you a feedback on link about SSHSetup.

On 09/14/2010 05:52 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just added some new pages to the wiki, this time covering how to
> configure remote access to libvirt through SSH, not using root:
>
>   http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/SSHSetup     <--- entry page
>   http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/SSHPolicyKitSetup
>
> This has details for several different Linux distributions:
>
>   * RHEL 5 & 6
>   * Fedora 11-13
>   * Centos 5 & 6
>   * Ubuntu 10.04 Server & Desktop
>   * openSUSE 11.2 onwards
>
> Does anyone have info they'd like to include for other distributions?

I was thinking about writing info for Slackware, because you've asked.
But I came to realize the page is written in such general way, it's
simply applicable to other distributions without any big troubles which
should be worth of writing up. At least that's my opinion. Of course it
doesn't mean there can't be pitfalls in other distributions.

I'm also pleased to know it's possible to grant "regular" user
management of libvirtd.

I think; good job is in order.

One thing though and that's access to virtual storage. Isn't there a
problem with group libvirt not having ACL to manipulate images as they
are created with root:root ownership? I'm aware of
<permissions>...</permissions>, but so far I haven't been successful to
make it work (= ownership stayed as root:root no matter what; version
0.8.4).

Thanks and have a nice day,
Zdenek

--