[libvirt-users] KVM guest creation - no manual interference

Jon Dowland jon+libvirt-users at alcopop.org
Fri Sep 10 15:51:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:16:14AM -0300, Lucas Arbiza wrote:
> I've looking for a way to create KVM virtual machines completely automated
> without the need to interact with guest operating system during
> installation.
>
> With ubuntu-vm-builder is possible create the guest, list packages to be
> installed and scripts to be run. Is there a way to do something like it with
> libvirt?

I've (just today) achieved this using virt-manager, built on top of libvirt,
for centos guests at least, defining a mirror URI for the kernel and initrd
images, and a kickstart URL, having written a kickstart script for anaconda
and stored it on a webserver ahead of time.

<http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/>

virt-manager is packaged in Debian/Ubuntu too.

I haven't built any Debian/Ubuntu VMs yet, but I would basically do the same
thing but using debconf preseeding for automated Debian installations.

--
Jon Dowland