[libvirt-users] Can I update libvirt while KVM guest os are running

Masanari Iida standby24x7 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:11:11 UTC 2011

Hello
I have a simple question.
Can I update libvirt RPM while KVM guest OS on RHEL5 is running.

Background
When I run rhn_register, then rhn-virtualization-host RPM was
installed by RHN.  And then libvirt-python was also installed from
the RHN.  The libvirt-python RPM has a dependency with libvirt.
And the dependency was not only the RPM file name, and also
specific RPM versions as well.

# rpm -qR libvirt-python
/usr/bin/python
(snip)
libssl.so.6()(64bit)
libvirt = 0.8.2-15.el5 <==
libvirt.so.0()(64bit)

So the libvirt from RHEL5.5 was updated to libvirt from RHEL5.6
by this accident.

If nothing was happen, I don't care.
But after the force libvirt update, I couldn't do attach-disk.

 error : Failed to attach disk
  error : internal error missing disk device alias name for hdc

Now I would like to confirm from the authority that libvirt update
while running guest os is supported or not.
If supported, then these messages indicated something going wrong.
If not, I can ignore it.

Regards,
Masanari