[libvirt-users] Undefined interfaces?

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Apr 19 18:32:56 UTC 2011

On 04/18/2011 01:12 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a working fc14 install with a few virtual interfaces set up,
> and just noticed the following in messages:
>
> Apr 18 13:07:43 fc14 libvirtd: 13:07:43.155: error :
> interfaceGetXMLDesc:355 : internal error could not get interface XML
> description (netcf: NETLINK socket operation failed - couldn't find
> ifindex for interface `br0:0`)
> Apr 18 13:07:43 fc14 libvirtd: 13:07:43.165: error :
> interfaceGetXMLDesc:355 : internal error could not get interface XML
> description (netcf: NETLINK socket operation failed - couldn't find
> ifindex for interface `eth0:0`)
> Apr 18 13:07:43 fc14 libvirtd: 13:07:43.175: error :
> interfaceGetXMLDesc:355 : internal error could not get interface XML
> description (netcf: NETLINK socket operation failed - couldn't find
> ifindex for interface `eth1:0`)
> Apr 18 13:07:43 fc14 libvirtd: 13:07:43.185: error :
> interfaceGetXMLDesc:355 : internal error could not get interface XML
> description (netcf: NETLINK socket operation failed - couldn't find
> ifindex for interface `eth1:1`)
>
> I see several references that indicate this may be a bug. Or have I
> configured something wrong?

I'm assuming that you're running virt-manager, otherwise
interfaceGetXMLDesc wouldn't be getting called so much. There could be
some strange interaction between netlink and interfaces with ":" in the
name. I'm just packing up to leave on a 5 day trip, though, and don't
have time to investigate right now, but there are some things you can
look at:

1) try running "virsh iface-list --all", then "virsh iface-dumpxml
--inactive <name>" where <name> is the name of each interface displayed
in the iface-list command. See which are successful.

2) also try "virsh iface-dumpxml <name>" (ie withough the --inactive)
for each.

3) send the results of the above, as well as the output of "ifconfig -a"

4) also the output of "ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* | while
read f; do echo =====; echo $f; cat $f; done"

Something from that could help in reproducing the problem.