[libvirt-users] [Libvir] libvirt & vde_switch

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Apr 28 14:35:45 UTC 2011

On 04/28/2011 09:56 AM, Robert Šmol wrote:
> For my needs I would like to see either vdeswitch or openvswitch
> integrated in the project. Is there any preference from the
> users/developers on which one of those I should start looking into?

Are you volunteering to write some code? :-)

There have been requests for both, and both should eventually be done,
so I guess pick whichever one you like better :-) (since there's already
a patch for VDE, albeit with different XML than we'd like, that may be
quicker to finish.)

You may want to follow development of the work I'll point out below,
though, otherwise you could waste a lot of time.

> Also I would like to know how this should be integrated, from the
> mails I can see devs prefers to have virtual switch present as a
> network. Can someone describe how the integration should be done?
> Support for additional features like vlan, QoS?

Once we get into these kinds of questions, it's probably best to switch
to the developers' list (libvir-list at redhat.com) to get better exposure
to people writing the code. I'm Cc'ing this message there (and switching
the Reply-To: as well).

In particular, I recently send an RFC to libvir-list proposing an
expansion of the <network> XML to remove the hard-coded connection
between guest interface and host interface for macvtap (type='direct')
interfaces:

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-April/msg00591.html

and in a followup message showed how we could expand on this work to
provide support for openvswitch (or vde):

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-April/msg00640.html

I'm planning to have this code finished and tested within the next two
months at most (hopefully considerably earlier). If you're interested in
implementing a <network type='openvswitch'> or <network type='vde'> you
should subscribe to libvir-list (if you aren't already) so that you can
follow along.