[libvirt-users] Can I update libvirt while KVM guest os are running

Masanari Iida standby24x7 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 08:18:36 UTC 2011

Answer to myself.

Troubleshooted the symptom with my colleague and found the root cause.
In case of libvirt update from 0.6.3 to 0.8.2,
I had to restart my Guest OS.
Otherwise I got an error when I execute attached-disk with libvirt 0.8.2.

> error: Failed to attach disk
> error: internal error missing disk device alias name for hdc

It was because virDomainDeviceInfo info in struct _virDomainDiskDef
was NOT exist in 0.6.3.
After update,  libvirt 0.8.2 does  origdisk->info.alias, and it causes this
error message.

I believe there are many changes between 2 versions.
So I conclude that it is safe to stop Guest OS when libvirtd is updated.

Thanks

Masanari